Recently we received information from my son’s school regarding an out break of Hand Foot and Mouth Disease, or HFMD. My son is in 8th grade, so I didn’t expect that he’d catch it and bring it home to share with us. Of course he did!
He had a high fever around 102 for a couple of days, and pretty much felt terrible with a sore throat. Then he started complaining that his hands and feet were sensitive. He tried to show me spots on his hands, but honestly I didn’t see anything abnormal…. until a rash developed. Then it spread like crazy!
I read up on the illness, and there is no treatment for it besides taking fever and pain relievers. It is also contagious long after symptoms are cleared up. It’s so frustrating to know that kids are allowed to be in school once the fever is gone, even though they are still very contagious.
Having a newborn in my house, this isn’t an illness I want to deal with. My baby has already struggled to gain weight since she was born, if she gets painful mouth sores that make it less likely for her to eat that could lead to serious issues. As it is, my now 4 year old (as of Tuesday) had a fever of 104 last night and has been refusing to eat and drink much due to his sore throat.
Throw in what I am pretty sure is a case of thrush for the baby…. and the risk of possible eating problems for her increases greatly.
I called her pediatrician as soon as they opened today, only to wait an hour for them to call and tell me to contact my OBGYN since they can treat both of us. So, I do that right away. Here I sit typing this post 5 hours later without hearing back from them! I tried calling back only to be put on hold for more than 5 minutes, so I hung up. I am doubtful I will have answers to whether we need to be seen or if prescriptions can be ordered any time soon. I hate to feel like I am pestering them, but being Friday with a Monday holiday I really want to get this settled soon.
I suppose another call is about to be made.
I called my OBGYN, only to be told they can’t treat the baby, and won’t treat me until she is diagnosed and on treatment!
Of course I have to call her doctor back and explain what I’ve been told. The person who answers was surprised they weren’t treating the baby and that it was suggested that my doctor treat her. SERIOUSLY!
Now, the doctor who was given my original request was with a patient and so is the doctor who last saw my daughter. I am now anxiously waiting a call from someone from the pediatrician so I can call my doctor back before closing time to get my own treatment. I just wanted to take care of this first thing this morning…I even set an alarm to do so, but yet here I am wondering if a trip to urgent care is my only hope for treatment.