Viability and a scare.

We’ve reached the 24 week viability milestone! So, why today of all days does my little girl decide to be still?

I drive to work at 3am, and my commute is nearly an hour. During this time I have been used to my little girl bumping quite a bit. Today however, she was not active. I was stressed all day trying to feel her move. I would feel a light bump here and there that may have been her, but it also could have been my gurgly tummy. I shared my worries with my husband over the phone during my breaks, and of course caused him to worry too.

I worked my whole shift without feeling definitive movements. I did have another hour long commute to sit through and hope that my being still would get her to wake up. I had a cold drink and snack to try to get her moving too.

Finally, I felt movement! I still planned on taking a listen to her with our home Doppler as soon as I got home.

We found her heartbeat fairly easy, and felt some relief. It was such a hard day fearing the worst. I could imagine calling my doctor to tell them how I hadn’t felt movement and couldn’t find her heartbeat. I imagined starting my maternity leave to deliver my deceased baby and recover. Awful thoughts and situations run through your mind when you are pregnant after experiencing loss. I was fortunate today to only imagine the worst, and not have to experience it.

On a happier note, my blood sugars have been great. I was able to cancel my next diabetes appointment, and am only required to check in from time to time by email or phone. 🙂

I will be having ultrasounds every 4 weeks starting in 4 weeks to monitor the baby’s growth. I will also start non-stress tests twice weekly at 32 weeks. That seems early to me, but I will do whatever the doctor suggests.

Advertisements

I have a teenager!

Today my son turned 13. It’s crazy how time flies.

We brought him and his friend to an amusement park. It was opening day for the park, and it happened to be perfect weather. 🙂

The friend he brought was actually his ex-girlfriend. Yeah, she dumped him but they are still best friends. They both agreed dating was more of a high school thing than 7th grade thing. Lol.

They had a great time. It was very hard to keep up with her though. She has way too much energy.

We gave my son his first cell phone, and he was pretty surprised by it. We figured since this was his first year in public school, it might help him keep in touch with his new friends this summer. We are monitoring his apps, even though the service gives him the right to choose to be in charge at 13. He understands why we want to do so, and is happy to comply.

Back to work

I was released back to work with restrictions. I am not allowed to lift or pull more than 30 pounds.

I spoke with my direct manager today, and he feels we should be able to work around those restrictions in my department.

My H.R. manager however makes me believe I will have to do something else in the building. They have a new program for dealing with people who need accommodations, so I get to be the guinea pig. I was shocked that they would allow me back at all. The program allows for 90 days of temporary light duty, similar to if I had been injured at work. At the end of 90 days you can apply for an extension for another 30 days too.

I hope I don’t have to do boring/tedious work, but at least I will be able to earn some money and keep my baby safe.

I will see how it goes Tuesday morning.

Ultrasound Update

I had my anatomy screening yesterday. It confirmed the results of our Harmony testing. We are having a girl. My husband and I really needed visual confirmation.

The technician did not see any subchorionic hemorrhage concerns, and I haven’t had any bleeding/spotting for days now. I thought those results would lead to my return to work, but I was wrong. There were no anatomy anomalies viewed, but baby girl did not cooperate much when it came to viewing her heart. The doctor was not concerned though, and we have an echo scheduled for May 8th anyway.

Back to my not returning to work… The doctor who saw me right after the ultrasound felt that I should have some restrictions due to the bleeding and my history, but we left it up to my regular ob to make the final decision. I saw her later in the day, but she hadn’t seen the ultrasound report yet. She was not comfortable with sending me back to my highly physical job with heavy lifting. She felt more comfortable restricting me to lifting no more than 20 pounds or the weight of my youngest child. (24 pounds) Her explanation was that if my placenta tore from the uterus at this gestation and I had to deliver, the baby is not viable. I had expected to try to work, and if I had more bleeding look at our options from there. I hadn’t really thought about the bleeding leading to premature delivery. She requested I take the next 3 days off to give the office time to see the report.

At this point my husband and I are much more willing to keep me out of work for the remainder of my pregnancy. My income is not worth my baby’s life. I know my doctor will request lifting restrictions if she allows me to return to work at all. I am fine with that, but my employer will most likely fight it. That would lead to my being out on a medical leave.

I may lose my position and shift, but after the baby is born I will still have a job available to me. Keeping this little girl safe is worth whatever may happen.

Excited for an actual vacation

I have taken this past week off of work due to my pregnancy complications. It wasn’t a vacation, but I have been taking it very easy. I even managed to read a book. 🙂

Last night we had friends over for dinner and actually made reservations for a camping trip in June.

I am still waiting to have my ultrasound on Tuesday to make sure returning to work Wednesday will be safe, yet here we are putting money down on a trip I hope I will be able to take. May have been premature on our part, but I have been spotting very little over the past few days and am feeling fine. I suppose as long as I take it easy on our trip it won’t matter if I am home or in a camper…right? That is as long as my condition doesn’t worsen and lead to strict bedrest or hospital bedrest.

The husband of the couple we are camping with seems to be like me, and was thinking about things to pack last night on their drive home. The list maker in me wanted to do the same thing.

We have vacationed with the wife and her ex-husband before, but not her new husband and we’ve never camped together. They booked a tent site, and we booked a water and electric site. We don’t rough it in our family. I like to use an electric griddle to make pancakes, and I like to play games by lighting that allows you to see what you’re doing. We have actually brought a mini fridge, tv, and video games camping in the past. Our fridge has since been donated, so we’ll have to survive using coolers and ice.

I am excited to have this new experience with our friends, but super nervous about camping 7 months pregnant with a 3 year old and 1 year old. Just last night the one year old woke up every two hours screeching. My friend said her son who is almost 4 wakes up talking and screaming during the night. We might get kicked out of the campground or we’ll have to sleep in our cars to buffer the sound.

I am happy that we took the plunge and booked the trip. I am such a pessimist and would normally be too nervous making reservations knowing the multiple things that could go wrong in a high risk pregnancy.

The campground we are going to has a fantastic pool attraction for the kids, and nice playgrounds too. Hopefully the weather will cooperate. If we can’t use those amenities it will be sad.

Taking the week off of work

So, it looks like I was right about my subchorionic hemorrhage. It appears smaller than it was in February. They didn’t see any fresh/active bleeding.

I already had an ultrasound scheduled for next Tuesday, so I am signed out of work until next week’s ultrasound.

I am supposed to rest this week, and hopefully the bleeding will resolve.

My main concern is that all will be calm until I return to work, which would mean I would be taken out for the remainder of my pregnancy.

I’ll just have to see how it goes.

Still Waiting

I’m waiting to find out if the cause of my bleeding can be confirmed, and if I need to be on restricted activity.

My gut feeling is that the subchorionic hemorrhage seen on ultrasound in February is draining, but I am nervous it may have grown or is causing problems.

I am very anxious about returning to my very physical job tomorrow, since basically laying on the couch all weekend hasn’t stopped the bleeding. The bleeding is not a flow, or bright red. It’s definitely old blood coming out… still unnerving for a pregnant woman to see.

I want some answers today. This has been a stressful weekend. My obgyn is very busy today and at first offered an appointment between 3-3:45. That seemed too late for my liking. They were able to squeeze me in with the oncall doctor at 1:20.

This doesn’t really comfort me much since I really want to have an ultrasound to get a good look at what is going on. I really hope they can make that happen.

I can’t be sent home with unexplained bleeding, and normal activity unless things get worse. That’s too scary for me. I want to know that going back to my job of heavy lifting won’t lead to premature delivery. I understand there can’t be a guarantee of that, but if it looks too risky to be lifting 40-50 pound cases regularly I want to know.