I had my anatomy screening yesterday. It confirmed the results of our Harmony testing. We are having a girl. My husband and I really needed visual confirmation.
The technician did not see any subchorionic hemorrhage concerns, and I haven’t had any bleeding/spotting for days now. I thought those results would lead to my return to work, but I was wrong. There were no anatomy anomalies viewed, but baby girl did not cooperate much when it came to viewing her heart. The doctor was not concerned though, and we have an echo scheduled for May 8th anyway.
Back to my not returning to work… The doctor who saw me right after the ultrasound felt that I should have some restrictions due to the bleeding and my history, but we left it up to my regular ob to make the final decision. I saw her later in the day, but she hadn’t seen the ultrasound report yet. She was not comfortable with sending me back to my highly physical job with heavy lifting. She felt more comfortable restricting me to lifting no more than 20 pounds or the weight of my youngest child. (24 pounds) Her explanation was that if my placenta tore from the uterus at this gestation and I had to deliver, the baby is not viable. I had expected to try to work, and if I had more bleeding look at our options from there. I hadn’t really thought about the bleeding leading to premature delivery. She requested I take the next 3 days off to give the office time to see the report.
At this point my husband and I are much more willing to keep me out of work for the remainder of my pregnancy. My income is not worth my baby’s life. I know my doctor will request lifting restrictions if she allows me to return to work at all. I am fine with that, but my employer will most likely fight it. That would lead to my being out on a medical leave.
I may lose my position and shift, but after the baby is born I will still have a job available to me. Keeping this little girl safe is worth whatever may happen.